Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The Lovelites 1967 - 1975



And out of the shadows appears The G Man.......
I'm back with a treat for those that love that old time Chicago soul. I've compiled what I believe to be THE LOVELITES all-time best slow and mid-tempo cuts.....including an unreleased track from Patti and The Lovelites titled FALL IN LOVE. 
A big thanks to Rosalie who came through with an assist to the project.

Oh, also....if you want to see more compilations like this please put a little love in the comment section to let me know your thoughts.

1. Oh What A Day
2. I Love You ( Yes I Do)
3. I've Got Love
4. Love Is Pretty
5. I Don't Want To Cry
6. My Conscience
7. Oh My Love
8. This Love Is Real
9. You've Hurt Me Now
10. Is That Lovin' In Your Heart
11. Fall In Love
12. Got To Be There
13. We've Got The Real Thing
14. I'm the One That You Need
15. I'm In Love
16. Love Bandit
17. Love So Strong
18. My Baby Loves Me
19. Man In My Life
20. Gotta Let You Go
21. Certain Kind Of Love
22. The Way That You Treat Me Baby
23. Who You Gonna Hurt Now
24. I'm Not Like the Others
25. You Better Stop It
26. I Found Me a Lover
27. Shy boy
28. How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad

The Lovelites were an American vocal group, based in Chicago, originally composed of the sisters Patti Hamilton and Rozena Petty plus their friend, Barbara Peterman. In 1967, the trio recorded for the local Chicago record label, Bandera Records. In 1968, Peterman left the group, and was replaced by Ardell McDaniel.

One year after the change in lineup, the single, "How Can I Tell My Mom And Dad (That I've Been Bad)" was released on Lock Records. The tune, written by lead vocalist Patti Hamilton and record producer Clarence Johnson, tells of a teen, abandoned by her boyfriend, who imagines horrible repercussions when she tells her parents what's happened; the subject, teen pregnancy, was then still largely taboo on radio airwaves, and the single went on to sell 55,000 copies locally and 400,000 nationally, peaking at #15 on Billboard's soul chart, and landing the group a recording contract with the MCA-owned, Uni Records. By this time, the group had also undergone yet another personnel change, as Joni Berlman stepped in for Rozena Petty.

The girls continued working with Johnson as well another producer, Johnny Cameron, and went on to release their only album, With Love From The Lovelites. The album was not as well received as the group's previous single. Decades later, it is revered as one of the classic soul albums to come out of the Windy City, producing such standout singles as "Oh My Love" and "This Love Is Real."

After leaving Uni in 1970, Johnson started up the Lovelite imprint, and the group immediately hit with "My Conscience," which reportedly sold 70,000 in Chicago and 400,000 nationwide. The group released a handful more singles on the label, and then in 1971, Rhonda Grayson replaced Ardell McDaniel.

By 1972, the girls had signed to Cotillion Records, where they released two singles billed as Patti & The Lovelites. By 1973, the group had disbanded. The groups last single "Get It Off My Conscience" / "Oh What A Day" was released in 1975.

Cover Art Work by THE G MAN
Tracks Submitted by THE G MAN & ROSALIE
Post by THE G MAN
Link Courtesy of THE G MAN






39 comments:

  1. Hi this is Richsoul, I am still here and I am glad that this compliation is made to rare soul ballads aficionados like myself. Maybe not too many people know of this site. I've never took it of my bookmarks. Thank you Rose and of Mr. G.. you were the man then and still are the main one. Covers alone are good to enjoy and the music even better. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello RichSoul, good 2 hear from you. I appreciate all the kind words Brother and the valuable contributions you've made in the past. I still think about that compilation project we were working on in the past. Maybe we will have to revive that work.....leave me an email address if you're interested.

      Delete
  2. You're welcome Guitarradeplastico,scraping oddities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magnificent compilation my friend.
    I hope there will be more like this.
    Thank you also to Rosalie.
    greetings from Belgium

    Amichevole,
    Rocco

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another very well put together comp. Nice work G Man and great write up also. Much love from P.Towm S.G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much love 2 U Pomona Soul Sounds....appreciate the props!

      Delete
  5. Love the Lovelites, have since I first heard them in the 70's.
    Phil in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with ya on that Phil...they really have a beautiful sound.

      Delete
  6. Q-Vo G. Firme comp and covers Bro. Glad u picked one of my homies 2 put in the spotlight. Gracias !

    Chi-Town Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, Thanks also to Mizz Rose for helping out with the tracks.

      Delete
    2. Right on Chi-Town.....this is a big time favorite of mine.....thanx 4 the good word.

      Delete
  7. Sadly it tells me I cant down load this / forbidden 403 /
    I love this type of stuff and q whole album load of one group laying it down is heaven for me but /forbidden 403/!!
    And then it occured to me ..... is there anything you would like to find but cant and just what would that be and maybe we (all us fans) could help out because im sure everyone her who loves all you do for this great music would love to contribute in such a positive way. and by the way im grooving from Italy cause this music is as international as love.
    /forbiden 403/ my arse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you're unable to access the work Zapple. It sounds like it could possibly be an internet provider issue that refuses access to zippy share. Maybe you can check it again later just to make sure it wasn't some type of computer issue. I was thinking of maybe in the future doing a greatest hits project on a one of the lesser known record labels in Detroit but haven't finalized anything yet.....but if I need help I'll send a shout out for it for sure.

      Delete
  8. You're welcome Eric...thanks 4 the support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zapple here is a link some additional info on your issue if interested:

    https://www.lifewire.com/403-forbidden-error-explained-2617989

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zapple also try:

    Clear your browser's cache

    Clear your browser's cookies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see to see the G MAN back in harness ! Keep up the great work, Bro! RB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right On R.B......Still have the itch to hook it up every once in a while.

      Delete
  12. I have to admit I'm hardly new to soul and i'm getting more and into it. Thanks so much no only for the compilation but for the addtional info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome Daniel, hope U enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sadly it tells me I cant down load this / forbidden 403 /

    No permite descargar de Zyppishare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALENYAR try clearing you cookies and cashe, if that doesn't work check out this link for other solutions:

      https://www.lifewire.com/403-forbidden-error-explained-2617989

      Delete
  15. Many thanks, much appreciated. Would love to see more comps.
    Peace and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank You, love the group sound I grew up to. Thank WILD in Boston black radio station back then for providing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody?
    This post posted at this web site is really pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Que Pasa Carnal,Long time no see..Rose email brought me back..
    This is a sweet drop carnal and gracias for the time you put into this comp,,nwo I have all the rolas in ne comp from a bad ass group.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What iz happenin' P-Stylez....good 2 hear from ya Brother! Well this is almost all their cuts....best 80 minutes in my eyes anyway. Might have 2 holler atcha in the future for a new comp collabo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks very much from Holland!
    Really enjoy all this incredible soul!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank U From Holland.....I appreciate the good word!

      Delete