Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Since I Met You Baby




* Attention new link updated 06/23/12 *


Here's a one of a kind compilation hi-lighting the monstrous talents of The Avons. I've got to send a very big thank you and shout out to Mizz Philly who helped me compile this CD....without her help this project never would have seen the light of day.


The Avons were a trio of ladies that recorded out of Nashville, Tennessee. They started out on RCA's Groove Label in 1963, moved to Soundstage 7 in 1966, then to Excello in 1967 and then releasing their last single with Ref-O-Ree in 1968.
The first single released in 1963 was "Push A Little Harder".
Single number two "Rolling Stone" was published in 1964 by Excellorec, the publishing arm of Nashville's Excello label.
The group were dropped by RCA apparently because their 2nd and third singles were not as successful as their 1st. The group were still working with John "Bucky" Wilkin, leader of Ronny and the Daytonas. His co-writer Bobby Russell (also of the Daytonas) had contacts with Monument Records and got them a deal with their subsidiary Sound Stage 7......resulting with the single "Be Good To Your Baby" in 1966. The Sound Stage 7 single didn't work as well as expected so Bob Holmes got the group a contract with Excello Records where he worked as a staff producer. Excello put the group on their subsidiary A-Bet and produced the single "Talk To Me" in 1967. For the next single the group was promoted to the main Excello Label and had their next single issued in 1968. "He's My Hero" was co-written by Bob Holmes and former Ikette Joshie Armstead. This was the last work they did with Excello.
In 1968 The Avons and veteran producer Ted Jarrett were picked to launch the newly formed Ref-O-Ree label. "Tell Me Baby (Who Would I Be) their 1st and last single with the label and was the group's last known work.


1. SINCE I MET YOU BABY
2. JUST AS LONG AS I LIVE
3. TONIGHT KISS YOUR BABY GOODBYE
4. I WOULD IF I COULD
5. GOT TO GET USED TO YOU
6. HE'S MY HERO
7. BE GOOD TO YOUR BABY
8. OH, GEE BABY
9. TELL ME BABY (WHO WOULD I BE)
10. TALK TO ME
11. PUSH A LITTLE HARDER
12. WORDS WRITTEN ON WATER
13. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR LOVE
14. ROLLING STONE


*
Link by G MAN
Tracks courtesy of Mizz Philly & G MAN
Cover by G MAN
Post by G MAN
*
~
http://www.mediafire.com/?0bc1x1h60j9c7pf
~

8 comments:

  1. many many thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi is there another way i can download this cd from you please love cazz (cazz6268@msn.com )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...this rules! Ever since hearing "Since I Met You" I have been looking for other Avons stuff. I figured there was more out there...and this is like finding a great present under the tree at Christmas. I can't wait for it to finish downloading so that I can listen to it.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. could you guys please repost the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muchas gracias 4 the new link! Looks 2 B a firme drop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would really love to hear this one, but I can't download!!
    :-( Can you repost?
    Thanks
    Nonie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again for the awesome drop can not wait to hear it soon. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi:
    Wondering if you could repost.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete